I’m going to say it: I love malts.
You know. Like a shake, but with the malted milk powder in there.
I love them. Chocolate ones anyway. Is there another kind?
My sister and I were discussing this the other day. Do people have non-chocolate malts? Because that seems weird.
Chocolate and malt just go so well together, and these brownies are no exception. They are uber chocolate goodness with the malt flavor coming from both the powder and from chopped Whoppers. And then, they’re topped with more chocolate and more chopped Whoppers.
Definitely for you if you like malt flavor. Or chocolate. Or both.
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 1 1/2 cups Whoppers, chopped
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8x8 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Heat chocolate and butter in a large microwave safe bowl at medium power for about 3-4 minutes, or until butter is melted* and then stir until chocolate is melted.
- Whisk in sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt.
- Slowly stir in flour and malted milk powder, just until combined.
- Spread 1/2 of the batter into the prepared pan, then add a layer of chopped Whoppers.
- Cover with the remaining batter and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack before frosting with ganache.
- Measure out chocolate in a medium bowl.
- Microwave cream in a small bowl for about 30 seconds to a minute, just to heat it up, but not bubble over.*
- Pour cream over chocolate and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir until chocolate is melted.
- Spread evenly over cooled brownies and top with any remaining chopped Whoppers.
*Microwaves are all so different (I've had really terrible ones and ones that made me realize what I was missing), so really watch for the butter to be melted and that the cream doesn't bubble over.
Recipe adapted from My Baking Addiction