This was one of those dinners that I learned something very important about my children’s eating habits.
They like to be able to make a mess with their food!
I don’t know why it took me so long to figure this one out. But, these lettuce wraps were like the healthy and much yummier (in my opinion) version of a sloppy joe!
The meat and veggies in sauce that they get to spoon into a lettuce leaf and eat like a taco. They were excited by the fact that they got to do it themselves and then eat it over their plate because they drip.
Kids are so funny.
One of mine did have a hard time at first with getting his hands messy and not appreciating the dripping. But, with a little help to wrap it the right way and encouragement that it really was super cool, he got into it as well.
I personally loved the flavors of the coconut and ginger, and the fact that a healthy and popular dinner was on the table in 20 minutes! Oh yeah! Which is why we’ve eaten this about 3 times in the last month. It will for sure be in a regular rotation in our house!
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 lb. boneless pork loin, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh green beans, bias sliced
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- In large mixing bowl combine coconut milk, cilantro, soy sauce, lime juice and ginger.
- Add cut pork and toss to coat.
- In a very large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add meat mixture and cook 3 minutes.
- Then add green beans and carrots and cook and stir 3-4 more minutes until beans are crisp-tender and pork is just slightly pink.
- Serve with a spoonful of pork and veggie mixture on a leaf of iceberg lettuce.
You Might Also Enjoy: