It’s one of those things that in my mind was something people USED to eat.
You know, back in the day. But, certainly not NOW. With all the yummy things we have to eat now, why would you eat corned beef?
I’ve also learned that it depends on where you live. In Detroit, for instance, and I’m sure in other places, there are many restaurants around claiming to have the most delicious corned beef sandwich. Enough that it must be a thing. Must be something that people are looking for.
But, this year I wanted to do something traditional for St. Patrick’s Day. So when I saw the corned beef brisket at the store, staring at me, I decided to give it a try.
This recipe is very simple. Throw some basic ingredients in a crock pot, and in 8 hours your house smells fantastic and you’ve got a whole bunch of num.
Now, one of the best things about this recipe is how versatile it is. You can serve it sliced with potatoes and cabbage or on a sandwich, or you can shred it and place it is any number of dishes (some of which I have attempted and HIGHLY recommend like the Corned Beef Hash).
Since making this the first time, we have made it several other times and still love it’s simplicity and deliciousness. Every year I try to find new ways to use the leftovers, but that tends to backfire and cause me to make more corned beef causing more leftovers.
- 1 corned beef brisket, 3-4 lbs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- dash of red pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper
- Layer 1/2 of chopped veggies in bottom of slow cooker.
- Place corned beef on top with fat cap up.
- Add remaining veggies and garlic on top and around the sides of the meat.
- In a bowl, mix beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and red pepper - pour over beef.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours. It's done when it will come apart easily.
- Shred with forks and do all sorts of delicious things with it!