I know it might seem a bit ridiculous with the amount of coconut and key lime we have here at num’s the word, but I don’t see an end in sight. Once again, this is one that I’m super excited to share with you.
These cupcakes are seriously my favorite cupcakes that I have ever made. I think. Well, maybe I shouldn’t make such blanket statements. I’ve made some pretty darn good cupcakes. But these are definitely up there with the good ones.
They are a combination of some of my favorite flavors and in some of the best ways. The cupcakes are moist and have a fantastic coconut flavor. The frosting is amazingly flavorful with key lime and an added awesomeness of melted white chocolate.
I’ve made these a couple of times and they were a hit every time.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Pulse coconut in a food processor until finely ground.
- Mix together coconut milk and sour cream, set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, ground coconut and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each one. Add extracts.
- With mixer on low, add flour in three batches, alternating with two additions of coconut milk and sour cream. Beat after each addition until combined.
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on wire racks before frosting.
- Frost with Key Lime White Chocolate Frosting and garnish with toasted coconut.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
- 5 ounces good quality white chocolate, chopped into small chunks
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon key lime juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Melt the white chocolate by microwaving in a microwave safe bowl on medium power for 90 seconds. Stir, then microwave again, in 30 second intervals, if needed until it is melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the powdered sugar until well combined.
- Add the salt, vanilla, key lime juice and sour cream and mix until very smooth.
- Add the melted white chocolate and mix just until incorporated.
Adapted from Food Network