This Chicken Fajita Soup recipe is another one of those that I saw on Pinterest that sounded and looked delicious, but the actual recipe was not what I was hoping at all. So I made my own.
I started with the basics of a fajita: onions, peppers and chicken. I knew I wanted it to be easy and fast, but taste like it had been cooking all day. Thus the combination of the canned food and the chicken broth. It turned out so well! The flavors really come together to make a creamy, hearty and flavorful soup.
This Chicken Fajita Soup of course is improved by toppings (you know how I love my toppings!) and you can pretty much add whatever are your favorites. I love avocado (surprise, surprise), cilantro, a bit of cheese, and just a splash of fresh lime juice.
You could also add some strips of tortilla (like this other favorite soup) or crushed tortilla chips, but it really is fine on it’s own.
Give this easy soup a try and enjoy the amazing flavors as they hit your taste buds!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces or shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (4 oz) can green chiles
- In large stock pot, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat until the butter is melted. Then add the onion and peppers and saute until onions begin to be translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the chicken broth and stir until there are no clumps of flour.
- Add cumin, white pepper and salt and stir.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with diced avocado, diced tomato, Mexican style cheese, chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice, etc.
Another Recipe We Think You’ll Love…