It is Main Dish Monday and I am very excited to share with you another one of our very favorite quick and easy dinners. Chicken Enchilada Pasta. We started making this maybe a year ago, and it has been a steady part of our menu since then.
It’s easy and delicious and it’s even better topped with avocado (which is a super plus in my book). I love pasta and pretty much anything with Mexican flavors. I don’t know what else I can tell you about this. Make it and you will not be sad.
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chiles
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 (10 oz) cans green chili enchilada sauce
- 2/3 cup red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package penne pasta
- Cook pasta according to package.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet and cook onions for about 3-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic and red pepper, cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken, green chiles, cumin, chili powder, salt and enchilada sauces. Stir. Let sauce simmer for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn the heat down to low. Add cheese and stir until the cheese is melted and heated through, then add the sour cream and stir until mixed and heated through.
- Add cooked and drained pasta to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Serve with sliced avocado, tomato, green onions, olives, more sour cream, etc.
Adapted from The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife